New York Steak with Smashed Pumpkin & Green Peppercorn Sauce
COOKING TIME: 27 minutes
- 4 New York Steaks from Chop Butchery
- 1 tbsp Oil, eg. Rice Bran
- 1kg Pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp oil, eg. Rice Bran Oil
- 1 small Brown Onion, finely diced
- 1 to 2 tbsp Green Peppercorns in Brine, drained
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 300 ml Cream
- 1 to 2 tsp Salt
- Roast the pumpkin in the oven with the rosemary for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy based pan to a medium to high heat, drizzle with a splash of oil and add the steak. Sear for 4 to 5 minutes on each side then place on a plate and let rest.
- Add to the pan a splash of oil and the onion, sautéing for 3 minutes. Add the peppercorns, mustard, Worcestershire and cream. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half and has begun to thicken.
- Remove the skin and place the cooked pumpkin, cumin, nutmeg, salt, pepper and butter in a bowl or pot.
- Smash the pumpkin with a wooden spoon until a rustic mash is formed.
- Slice the steak and serve with smashed pumpkin and top with sauce.